Wednesday, August 18, 2010

If I Had $1,000,000...

While driving home the other day, we passed a billboard for the state lottery advertising a jackpot of $35 million. We don't play the lottery, but that didn't stop me from asking my husband what he thought we would do if he won that jackpot and cleared, oh, say, $20 million after taxes. Not surprisingly, the answer was pretty similar to what we're trying to accomplish now. We'd keep working, but I would maybe take some time to explore my options. We'd pay off my student loan, which is our only remaining debt. We'd pay off our parents' homes. We'd add a chunk to D's 529 plan. And then we'd save and invest the rest, hoping to live comfortably off a conservative amount of interest. No boats, no fancy second homes, no diamond-crusted toilets. Man, we are boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment